This is how not to mount a fingerboard to a motorhome

Since owning a 1993 Ford Transit SWB Motorhome, made by the Italian firm CI motorhomes, I've gradually modified it into a Frankenstein camper. No thief in their right mind could even look at our camper van for more than 5 seconds or they would instantly turn to stone.

To a BMW, cream leather sofa and dapper suit guy, it is a heap of turd. To us, it's a Swiss Army knife of the "sleep in" vehicle niche and anyone who doesn't like it, simply hasn't spent enough time in it.

Posing for the camera while in an Innsbruck retail park

We were coming up to our fifth Euro road trip and I had the bright idea to install a fingerboard on the van. In my head I would be just like Adam Ondra, muscles glistening in the sun as I train on my van with a background of mountain scenery. You know...the kind of crap you see on Facebook.

Truth was, I was quite enjoying a weekly fingerboard session after installing one above the workshop door at work. Forth session in and still scraping the floor frantically with my feet on the third set of six, eight second hangs. So I "pulled the trigger" on another fingerboard from Ebay. "This is going on the van", I told Hannah.

Planning permission was denied at first

Since Hannah was being a meanie, I decided that a nod from Coco our cat was enough to get the go ahead with the build.

Where to mount the fingerboard?

For you guys with a roof rack, it's quite simple really. Personally I would mount the fingerboard similarly to how I have explained below, on a long piece of unistrut, then mount that to the roof rack. Simple...a detachable fingerboard.

The problem with our motorhome is that the sides consist of a very thin sheet of metal, soft insulation and then wood. I figured as long as the weight of the fingerboard (and me when hanging off it) is spread evenly, then the bodywork should be fine with holding 75kg. Either that or I would pull a section of cab off while training. 

I wanted to mount the fingerboard somewhere with a little leg room while using it and decided it would be best above the passenger door. This would be a sociable position, as the gas bottle for barbecues and the outside light was all on that side of the van.

Making the bracket

The board needed to be removable (and easily so) from the van. So for that reason and as mentioned, Unistrut seemed like the best bet. It's obviously robust, will spread the load and has fixings available to attach the fingerboard.

Unistrut and a 10mm bolt screwed into a Zebedee

The only problem is the "industrial look" of the Unistrut but this is nothing that cannot be fixed with a little spray paint.

After playing around with a couple of designs, I settled on a V shape bracket. It would spread the load and stop the fingerboard from walking down the Unistrut when in use.

Each half of the bracket has one 10mm bolt (to save on holes drilled into the van). This coupled with a small piece of unistrut on the back of each bolt should be suffice to secure it.

Starting with two long 10mm threads, two M10 Zebedees and two M8 Zebedees

Mounting the 10mm Zebedee into the unistrut (I needed to remove the spring for it to fit),  tightening the 10mm thread into the Zebedee so that it tightens against the rear of the Unistrut. 

Cutting the unistrut into equal lengths (measured against the fingerboard for reference)

This is the design I ended up with. The 8mm Zebedees are installed in this pic and the fingerboard bolted to them

Mounting the fingerboard to the bracket

My quick release method is two 8mm cross head bolts. Using rubber grommets to protect the fingerboard.

However, quick release for you, also means quick release for someone else. Bare that in mind if parking up for half the day in a town center.

Two M8 cross head bolts
The fingerboard did require drilling to fit the bolts

Mounting the bracket to the van

This is one of those moments when you just need to commit. All work can be reversed in my opinion with some filler, sand paper and spray paint. "Let's do it!", I thought.

Once you have found the perfect place for the fingerboard (Taking into account what is on the other side of the mounting space). Go ahead and mark up the bolts for drilling.

With my install, the support bolts are hidden by the cab bed. It would be an idea to mount the fingerboard somewhere where bolts can be hidden the other side but with good access to the bolts.

Marking the bolt holes

Drilling the first hole
The holes appeared where expected. Hidden behind the mattress

Sikaflex, to seal and it also sticks like sh#t

Use Sikaflex (or similar sealant) around the ends of the bolts to seal the holes

Mounting the fingerboard and aligning the brackets prior to tightening them down

I then needed to distribute the load on the inside. For this I used two short pieces of unistrut.

Unistrut on the inside. 10mm bolts tightened down and ready for the excess bolt to be chopped. The brackets are then covered (in my install) by the bed.
Adding a little "make up" aka white spray paint

Does it work? You ask

Not as well as I had hoped! The cab is strong enough but there is a little play while doing pull ups. Most of this however is the motorhome suspension rocking (a good one when someone is still asleep in the van). To be honest what concerns me is not the giant hole I will leave if it pulls off, that is very unlikely. It is the damage the flexing may do to the seals higher up.

I need to stress if you are going to use my method or similar, please use your own due diligence and find a spot on your van which is structurally sound.

The end result. A fingerboard on the side of your motorhome!


Materials used for the install

• 41x21x2.5 Unistrut

• Fixings available are called "Zebedees" and the ones used here have a M8 hole (for the bracket) and a M6 hole (to hold the fingerboard to the bracket)

• M8 threaded rod and a collection of bolts to fit

• M6 bolts and rubber grommets. I've used the Phillips headed ones for easier install/removal

• Sikaflex Sealant and adhesive

• Spray paint and primer to suit your van (if blending it in matters to you)

• A collection of spanners and drills to suit, hacksaw, gloves and a file. Don't forget the sealant gun.

Does it make you climb better?

Not in my case, although it is early days yet with a month into fingerboarding. It does however make me THINK I am a better climber and look like a good climber. Only to scuttle off to the punter end of the crag with my super meaty fingers!

;)

>>>Thanks for reading, share if you will! Please let me know of your fingerboard campervan installation, I'd love to hear about it.

Hannah caught in the act! She approved in the end ;)


Liked this? Share it with others

Popular Posts